Places of interest in the centre of Otta
In the centre of Otta you can find blue plaques with information about 23 buildings and nine historical persons. Below each is a QR-code to be scanned with your mobile phone for more information here at this web site. What about taking a trip?
Sel municipality has installed 23 historical plaques to mark old buildings and nine plaques to mark persons who have streets named after them in Otta.
The municipality and local organizations for trade, business and tourism have created a map showing local trips, including a historical trip in the city centre.
By scanning the QR code you will find information about historical buildings and persons on this website.
1. Otta Railway Station
Built in 1894–1896 in the art nouveau style. The railway was opened in 1896. Otta Travel Centre was opened in 1990. A candidate for protection.
2. Otta Locomotive Garage
Built in 1920 with six lubrication chambers. The giant locomotive Dovregubben smashed into the garage in 1936.
3. The North Loftsgard Farm
Farmer’s property since 1650. Main building and barn from the second part of the 17. century. A defensive arms depot for the British in 1940.
4. Paul Botten Hansen (1824–1869)
From Selsverket. University librarian and literary critic. Friendship with the authors Aasen, Vinje and Ibsen.
5. Sel Municipal Centre
Originally a slaughterhouse from 1953, rebuilt and opened as municipal centre in 1979.
6. The Ottekren Farm
The farm is documented as early as 1604. The name indicates an original field of grain along the river. The farm has housed an inn with change of horses, postoffice, shop, and petrol station.
7. Herman Wildenwey (1885–1959)
In the summer of 1907 Herman Wildewey had a job at Bjørkheim Hotel (today Thon Hotel). That is where he wrote his debut collection of poetry, called “Bonfires,” poems he mentions as “wild plants in a summer scattered.”
8. The Aasen House
The house was built by Børre N. Aasen in 1919. The house has served as shop, hotel, municipal centre, police office with a prison. A candidate for protection.
9. Ola Dahl (1924–2004)
Grew up at Selsverket. He served in the Resistance Movement, in the railway company, as a manager of public planning, as mayor, and as county governor. He was decorated by the King.
10. Grand Hotel – The Loftsgard Registered inn
Established in 1896, later known as Grand Hotel. Occupied by the Germans in 1940, and serving as their headquarters 1940–1945.
11. Solstad Café – where the sun shines
The café was built in 1912 in the art nouveau style. It has accomodated a dentist’s clinic, a florist’s shop, and the taxi service 1930–1960; café from 1960.
12. The Wangen House
Built in the 1890s in the art nouveau style. Various shops 1897–1985. Café. A candidate for protection.
13. Engebret Hougen (1826–1891)
Grew up at Sel, an important source for P. Chr. Asbjørnsen in his collection of fairytales.
14. Sell Savings Bank
Moved into a new building in 1957 from premises bought in 1928. Bank service until 1998.
15. The Mostugu Farm
Built before 1903, and expanded in the art nouveau style. Fruit and tobacconist’s shop called “The merry corner.” Later Rockestuggu – the rock music shop.
16. Otta Hotel – Kleberheim
Built in 1897 as a hotel. The soapstone company Østlandske Stenexport, administration and living quarters from 1918. Nordre Gudbrandsdalen Kreditbank, established 1919. The printing house Otta bok- og avistrykkeri from 1947. Mostugu, as one of the three original farms to become Otta, first had a hotel established in 1897 by Sigurd Blekastad, proprietor and Member of Parliament.
17. The Bakke House
Built and expanded by the postmaster Johan Bakke in the years 1927–1947. With his wife he also ran a shop, café, and kiosk. Diagnostics clinic. A candidate for protection.
18. Café Kvil
Established in 1937. Café and rooms to let for two generations. The first building at Otta with central heating.
19. Solvang – on the sunny meadow
Built in 1898 by Sel ungdomslag – the youth club. Community hall, moved to its present location in 1923. Restored and expanded 1950-653. Cinema 1913–1968.
20. The School Street
Otta primary school was built in 1923. A residential area since the 1920s.
21. The Kjønnås Villa
Built in 1919 in the art nouveau style. The first house at Otta with hidden electic cables. A candidate for protection. Shell splimters in the construction from the bombings in 1940.
22. The Carrier’s Street
Johan Iversen ran a carrier business from 1896 with 20 horses. He took King Haakon 7. and Queen Maud to Trondheim for the coronation ceremony in 1906.
23. Eben-Ezer – a religious and secular centre
The house was built by devout members of the state church in 1907. It has served many purposes, meetings, school activities, by charities, for exhibitions. It was destroyed by bombs in 1940, and was rebuilt in 1961. Given to Otta Pentecosta Congregation in 2018.
24. The Old Turmo – once a farmer´s cottage
Formerly a croft. The present building was erected by the firm E. Mengshoel A/S in 1978, with architecture designed for commercial enterprises. Architects Per Oddvar Nyheim and Per Tore Olsen.
25. Reidar Müller (1869–1935)
District doctor from 1908. A member of Sel local council, and leader of the health authority in Sel and Heidal.
26. The Sletten House
Otta’s oldest shop from 1898. Otta general store and hardware shop. Awarded the environmental prize from the local council in the year 2000. The oldest part of the building a candidate for protection.
27. Olav Bismo (1917–1944)
District leader in the Resistance Movement, shot and deadly wounded in 1944. His last words a “Feel confident” to his mother.
28. Havnstad – later the Pillarguri Café
Otta’s oldest café from 1900. Originally a log house with three rooms. A candidate for protection.
29. Bondeheimen – The Farmer´s Inn
An old generation’s farm building from Faukstad in Heidal, moved to Otta during the first World War. Private home, café, rooms to let, shop. A candidate for protection.
30. Centrum – shopping centre of the 60´s
The original building from 1899, café with rooms to let, the present building erected in 1964. Formerly the chop specialized in clothes for ladies, gents, and children, yarn and bedsheets – and the Singer sewing machine.
31. Johan Nygård (1846–1942)
First mayor in Sel, and leader of the board of Sell Savings Bank.
32. Otta Dairy
Built as a steel works by the soapstone company Østlandske Stenexport in 1918. From 1925 Otta Dairy, expanded in 1948 and 1955. Closed in 1985.