The Bakke House
(Norwegian version) Johan Bakke was the postmaster at Otta. In 1927 he bought a parcel on the south side of the Main Street east of the railway line, where the building was erected which got his name attached to it – Bakkegården (The Bakke House).
Text: Odd Martin Bakke
Adapted and translated into English by Ivar Teigum
As soon as the building was ready, he moved in with his family, and the post office took its premises there, and a shop was opened.
In a building 60 square metres wide and with two stories the postmaster established himself with his family, his post office and a shop in the late 1920s.The annex to the right from 1928 accomodated a bookbinder’s workshop. Later a photographer hired the premises, and after him came a bicycle and sport articles shop.
In 1930 the building was augmented a second time with Café Kringen and rooms to let. Also were accommodated a lawyer, and the affiliate of a regional newspaper, the latter to be replaced by a goldsmith after some years. Other firms were in need of accommodation and this development in the late 1930s offered opportunities for further expansions.
The postmaster in his office with two sons and his wife. On the walls hang advertising posters.
The last year of the Second World War witnessed the burning down of Finnmark County by the Germans, and the forced evacuation of the population. To help a refugee family Bakkegården’s Café Kringen for the time being was converted into a flat.
In the postwar period the post office and some of the other tenants moved to other locations, and as some moved out, others got more space. In year 2000 Bakkegården was sold and a firm specializing in electrical installation took over the entire building.